Here are some suggestions that can be used with any issue of a newspaper.
1. Have students look at the pictures and graphics.
• Tell them to point to specific items.
• Ask questions with “or”. (e.g. “Are the people sitting or standing?”)
• Ask “wh” questions. (e.g. “What are they doing?”)
2. Dictate or write some of the headlines on the board. Tell students to find the pages that the stories for the headlines are on.
3. The teacher reads a story sentence by sentence. For each sentence, ask students to underline key words or phrases. Go back and ask questions for which the underlined words/phrases are the answers.
Courtesy of Easy English Times